What’s in preview
We are constantly improving Clear Books, and often make new features and improvements available in Preview, which allows you to get early access and to share your feedback.
- Following your feedback, this preview improves invoice entry by dynamically expanding the description field based on how much you have typed. Short, medium, and long descriptions all show at their best. Before we roll out this behaviour, please share your feedback on how well this works for you.
What’s gone live
Each month, we make enhancements, improvements, and bug fixes to Clear Books. The following changes are available now.
- Upgraded our integration with GoCardless and as a result, we now support GoCardless Standard, Plus, and Pro accounts.
Invoices, Quotes, Bills
- Fixed an issue that caused a display issue when adding a new stock item from an invoice
- Improved the experience when creating invoices, quote, and bills by only showing currency options when the multi-currency feature is enabled
- Added a feature that allows filtering of the list of quotes by quote currency
- Improved the experience when editing the template for a recurring invoice
- Improved the experience when creating invoices for recharge costs
VAT and Goods and Services Tax
- Added a feature that allows customers from non-EU countries with a Custom GST scheme to use the VAT return function to collate the information that would otherwise appear on the VAT return. If your Clear Books plan supports VAT/GST, the VAT return is available under Reports > Popular reports > VAT return
- Fixed an issue for customers on the UK VAT Flat Rate Scheme who generate pending assets from a bill, where line items on the bill over £2,000 were being capitalised net of VAT. Now, capital expenditure less than or equal to £2,000 is capitalised gross of VAT. Capital expenditure greater than £2,000 continues to be capitalised net of VAT.
- Fixed an issue that incorrectly allowed voiding and deallocation of credit notes and bad debt (and the corresponding invoice) when the credit note or bad debt had been included on a VAT return
- Fixed an error that caused the bank reconciliation report to not display payments that recurred from a recurring invoice template
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented unarchiving of bank accounts
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented entering some bank details when refreshing a Yodlee feed
- Added the ability to export the Project report to CSV
- Fixed an issue for Firefox users that caused payslips to sometimes display poorly
- Fixed an issue that caused incorrect formatting of employee leavers’ dates
The following sections have been improved with updated style:
- Create and edit journal
- Bank reconciliation
- View, create and edit stock items
- Process assets for depreciation
- Import and Export functions
- Custom report
Other improvements and fixes
- Improved the way to choose a customer (for quotes, purchase orders, and more), you can now type any part of the customer name to filter the list, making it easier to find the customer
- Fixed an issue that caused the results screen not to display correctly when deleting a Yodlee bank feed
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented entering default credit terms for customers and suppliers
- Improved the way sales tax rates are edited to make it easier to review changes and subsequently edit other rates
- Improved the description of the tax and dividend estimator on some reports
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented creation of fixed assets
- Fixed an issue that prevented the postcode address lookup from working when editing a contact
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented creation of pension schemes due to duplicate names, when in fact the names were not duplicates
- Altered the behaviour for credit terms on invoices so they update when editing the invoice. Now, when editing an invoice the credit terms are always replaced from those set on the contact.
What’s gone live from preview
The following changes were available in preview, and have moved from preview to being available to all customers.
VAT for payments on account
- Unallocated payments/receipts can now be included on a VAT return
- Adds functionality to account for the VAT on Payments On Account (POA) in accordance with tax point rules per HMRC. When creating a VAT return, you are able to view a list of all POAs, choose the relevant VAT rate, and which POAs to include on the VAT return.
Create a pending asset from a bill manually
- A functional update that allows you to manually generate pending assets from a bill which has line items coded to fixed asset account codes. These were previously generated automatically when creating or modifying a bill.
- Enabling this toggle will give you a new button on the invoice view screen when applicable, which lets you generate pending assets from your fixed asset line items on the invoice. At the same time the feature disables automatic pending asset generation upon saving these bills.
The following sections have been improved with updated style.
Design update for the money section
All pages under the menu item “Money” have been updated to follow our new, sleek style guide.
Updated batch bills & invoices
Batch bills and invoices have been updated to follow our new, sleek style guide.
Style update to VAT return
The VAT return page has been updated to follow our new, sleek style guide.
Style update to journals
The create and edit journal pages have been updated to follow our new, sleek style guide.
Style update to contact creation and edit pages
The contact creation page and all edit pages have been updated to follow our new, sleek style guide.
Style update to Yodlee feed setup
- The Yodlee bank feed pages have been updated to follow our new, sleek style guide.